OUR FAMILY

OUR FAMILY

Saturday, May 5, 2012

finally we get another infusion

It has been a really long time since I posted anything. So were to start, In April Easton got his hearing aids. When they put them in he was so cute. He sat there singing and we then realized that he hadn't really been able to hear himself that well let alone the rest of us. He did really well with wearing them and now will wear them all day, occasionally we have to take them out early in the day just because they are bugging him. We have noticed a few changes one, that the t.v. isn't turned up so loud, and when we tell him to whisper he actually does it! I haven't noticed a whole lot of language improvement, some but not as much as I expected. Next month he will go to the audiologist and they will turn them up a little bit more. They left them on the lowest setting so they didn't overwhelm him. I guess we will see what happens when they turn them up. Easton missed a couple of his IT doses due to the removal of his port and allowing him to heal. We finally got one though, with an lp. We along with his Dr.s have decided that he will get them via lp's indefinetly. I don't know that even if they found a new device we would opt for one his poor back is so scarred up and I honestly don't think he would heal with another surgery. Plus he is complaining off and on about his side and mostly his back hurting where the incisions are. I don't know if any other patients have had issues with pain and Easton never complained until after this last removal. During the summer we are going to have an EMG which is a nerve conduction test to test for carpal tunnel I would bet that he needs surgery to relieve his hand pain. His hands seems to bother him quite a bit, so hopefully this will help him. And then during the month of July we will go back East for another infusion and more testing. I wish they could compress the time you have to be gone, as of now its 13 days away from home. I wish they could get it down to a week. Its really hard to be away from home for this length of time. Or an even better idea would be to do the testing at our local site still going back east every 6 months but only for a few days. In early June I'm running my second half marathon which I'm really excited for. Camille made the drill team again so she is booked solid with things for basically the rest of the year. Weston is just getting over a fractured foot and will be starting baseball games soon and Easton will also be starting tee ball games next week. Kaylee is going to be doing a musical theater class this summer so we are busy busy.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Melissa,
    Although not the same ive had alot of problms with a lumbar peritoneal shunt I had which is inserted in to the sub-arachnoid (fluid) space of the spine just like the IT Ports and had akir id problems with it, I ended uo having laminectomies (bone and lamina covering the spine) 2 different times and still have alot of scar tissue from the shunts failing nad havigg to be removed and replaed. These resulted in CSF leaking around the shunt creating fluid filld spaces and and into the side. This occured multiple times - I believe 5 or 6 times total. My nrsgn switched ti a VP shunt but now we have had to add back in a LP shunt and having sumilar problems already again even though the surgery was just a week ago. I dont have akit of choice as I need 2 shunts for the hydrocephalus but my nrsgn is trying to figure out the best option as despite the VP shunt CSF pressure in my low spine was so high it shout out so fast it covered my neuosurgeon. She ended up threading the lumbar catheter up in to the thoracic spine to orevent the catheter from backing out of the spine as happened multiple times last fall and this is presenting its own complicatons and pain. We dont yet know what the correct answer is.

    I will pray for Easton for an answer and that that teh IT will go well from here on out,

    Erica
    www.rarelydefined.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete