OUR FAMILY

OUR FAMILY

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

2 year quilt


I started this quilt almost 2 years ago, while I was finding myself spending hour after hour watching my sweet Nathan sleep. It was a great pattern one, that expressed our families love of fishing and the outdoors. I start appliqueing each of the scenes by hand while we sat with him. The block with the sticks and marshmallows reminded me of the many camping trips we would take and sit by the fire roasting mallows and how Nathan would eat one after another. Until someone would catch him and move them away. The block of the canoe reminded me of how James would take the kids on the boat and fish with them never once getting a chance to stick his own pole in the water. Nathan loved this and even when his body wasn't cooperating with him he could always reel in a fish.
The campfire block reminded me of the many late night fires we would sit around and I would just hold him and rock with him sneaking precious kisses off his ever squishy cheeks and being caught by surprise when he would turn his head in that instant and you would get one wet kiss right on the mouth. The fishing creel block reminded me of time when we would bring the fish back to camp or home and he would kiss them and hold them, all the time asking when he could eat them, he loved to eat the fish. As I looked at each one of these blocks I realized that these not only reminded me of him but of my other kids as well I realized that even Easton at his young age had a love of camping and fishing with his family. What great memories to have.
As I continued my hand stitching project I realized that Nathans time was drawing near and that I better hurry with my project because I didn't know if I would be able to finish it after he had passed away. So I continued to work as much as possible and I finished the last block about 5 days before he went home. So today I decided I would finish putting it all together and put the borders on. I did this to music which can sometimes bring on such emotions tha you never even realized were so close to the surface but as I was completing my project the song (godspeed) sweet dream by the Dixie chicks came on and I realized that I was finishing this quilt almost 2 years to the day that i finished the blocks. On April 4th Nathan will have been gone for 2 years time has surely flown by and I am so glad that it has it makes me realize that our time apart will only be for a moment. AS I listened to the song my heart broke again and I wanted to be so selfish and wish for my little man to be with me again. Like the song says which if you've never heard the song before you need to listen to it because I send my love each night on angels wings. Even with my testimony and knowledge of the gospel the pain can be so great that at this moment it almost seems more than I can bare. It doesn't help that I look at Easton and realize that when Nathan was his age his life was halfway over and it makes me realize that even though we have new medications that are proving their effectiveness I still don't know what the future holds for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment